Wednesday, April 28, 2010

An Evening with my Irish Family

Patrick's parents live outside of Galway. Truth be know, Patrick is a Galwegian, making us both blow-ins out here on the Loop Head Peninsula. We love life out here, although getting out of West Clare for a night can be just what the mind and body need. In my case a bit of fresh air to reintroduce creativity and productivity.

Eileen, Patrick's step mom is great! In the midst of caring for her horse and others' horses, teaching classes, among other things, she always strolls in, whips up dinner and before you know it we're all full and well into our drink and wonderful conversation. Tonight will be no different; she's already informed me that dinner is in order and if I'd like to bring dessert, that would be appreciated. Heck, that's the least I can do for a wonderful meal and evening away.

Anyway, you ask me where am I going with this post. And here it is, my point, I've decided to make an apple and sultana crumble. Which is an excellent dessert to post in this blog. It's quick, always a real hit and at the end of the day, it's nearly impossible to screw up.

For today's crumble, here's what I did.

7 small apples, peeled and sliced (I used JonaGold since that's what I had on hand)

I place the apples, about 1/2 cup sultanas, a knob of butter, about 1/4 cup of sugar (brown or Demera are my favorite) and loads of spices in a medium saucepan and cook on medium heat until the apples are tender.

At this point, remove the pan from the heat and pour into a pie plate or similar baking dish and allow to cool a bit.

In a small bowl, mix together the following ingredients until crumbly
1 3/4 cups oats
scant bran
scant flour
handy sprinkle of Demera or brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 to 3/4 cups butter or other vegetable spread

Crumble the topping over the apples and bake in a preheated oven 375F/190C for about 30 minutes or until the crumble on top is golden and the apples are bubbly.



Serve with ice cream, cream , or whipped cream.

This is a delicious, mostly healthy, and quick dessert. It's great to take up to Galway, since Patrick's dad has a Gluten intolerance. I can omit the bran and the flour and still make a tasty crumble that everyone enjoys.

Hope you find a quick minute to enjoy a fruit crumble soon!!!

1 comment: