Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Lots Going on in the Kitchen

There's a whirlwind in the kitchen. It all started when I decided to make Mushroom and Carrot salsa. It's a tasty dip that I was introduced to at a Mexican Restaurant in Boulder, Colorado last year. It's a great place to enjoy great Mexican food and a cerveza frio.

Now that I'm in Ireland, as I've mentioned before I have to create my own Mexican food if I want to eat it. Not too big of a deal.

It's days like today I wonder how I get anything done. From t-shirt bags to laundry, making beds to making salsa. I sit here, wondering what transpired to get me to this moment. Queue the salsa, a bit like most thoughts do in my head this one has run wild leaving me with sliced lemon and grapefruit rind in a sauce pan waiting to be transformed into marmalade.

What started as Mushroom and Carrot Salsa (now ready to enjoy) has now turned into Lemon and Grapefruit Marmalade (Thanks Aunt Teresa for the reminder/idea). As it turns out, the rind of the lemon is of little use in the salsa; however, I hate to throw it out and luckily, my Patrick really enjoys marmalade. And so, I'm just a few steps away from homemade Marmalade!!!

Now you're probably wondering how I make both, the salsa and the marmalade. Well wonder no longer, here's my recipes.

Mushroom and Carrot Salsa (serves 2)
1 medium carrot, diced tiny
2-3 medium mushrooms, diced
1 handful fresh cilantro/coriander, chopped
Juice from 1 lemon, a bit of the skin too if you like
Lowery's Seasoning salt, to taste

Mix all ingredients together and let set in the fridge until you're ready to enjoy with your favorite tortilla chips. Yum!

Lemon and Grapefruit Marmalade (enough for 1 smallish jar)
Rind of 1 lemon, slices thin
Rind of 1 grapefruit, sliced thin
Sugar equivalent to amount of fruit

Cook lemon and grapefruit in a saucepan until rind is tender and juice has cooked out of rind and pulp. Add sugar and bring to boil this can take anywhere from 10 to 30 minutes depending on your pan and the heat (usually medium to medium high). Once the mixture comes to a boil, continue to boil for 10 to 20 minutes depending on the thickness you prefer*.

* You can test the thickness with a chilled teaspoon. Dip the cold spoon in the mixture and allow to cool away from the heat. Tip the spoon to test how runny the liquid is.

When ready, pour the contents of the saucepan into a sterilized jar or other heatproof storage container and place in the fridge once it's cooled. The marmalade will last longer than it takes to consume it!!!

Anywho, back to the marmalade at hand!

No comments:

Post a Comment