Monday, May 10, 2010

A Day to Bake Scones or Welsh Cakes

I learned a few weeks back that our neighbour will turn 78 this month (May); the important detail I did not learn is, what day her birthday is... She said something along the lines of, it's not important for you to know what day my birthday is.

So me being a baker and someone who enjoys acknowledging others birth days, I am left with a small conundrum.

1. Do I forego the celebration altogether?

2. Do I bake a birthday treat and take it to her when it suits me?

Or 3. Do I dig deeper to find out when her birthday is?

I've decided I'm going with option 2, to resolve this conundrum. Part of the motivation in my choice comes from the fact that I learned last Wednesday (from one of her daughters) that she loves Scones.

So today, I will bake Scones with Sultanas or Welsh Cakes. They're similar, it's just the first is baked and the second is cooked in a dry, hot skillet.

Actually, the more I think about it, the idea of turning on the oven and baking Scones sounds more appealing. So there's my final answer.

I'll be baking Scones with Sultanas today, here's the recipe I'll follow, it's from a dear friend in Vancouver

Cinda's Scones

Preheat oven to 425F/220C

In a large bowl, combine the following ingredients with a fork
2 c flour
1/2 c sugar
1 T baking powder
1/2 t salt
1/2 c butter, cold (cut in until crumbly)
1 egg, beaten
1/2 c milk (more if needed)
1 c Sultanas*

*Variations for ingredients you may want to add
1 c grate cheese
1 c glazed fruit, chopped fine
1 T orange rind, grated
3/4 c yogurt in place of milk

Pat dough onto a floured surface in 2 - 6" rounds, cut into wedges and place on a greased baking sheet. Brush the tops with milk and sprinkle with sugar and bake for 15 minutes. This recipe makes about 12 scones.

No comments:

Post a Comment